2007Gardening in the High Desert
19:36Lovely warm day
- Granddaughter and I filled the bird feeders
- Watered hybrid poplars on north side of metal building
- Watered fruit trees using 15 gal ATV tank as [the] water to [the] far back [area] is still frozen - about 5 gal per tree and 15 gal to the large apple tree
- Returned some library books last week and got more. P Alan Smith is becoming my next favorite author after Derek Fell, as far as gardening stuff goes
- Fruit trees appear to be doing well - no dead looking branches or buds so far
- Two [bearded] irises exhibit some frost heaving, but the rest look good
- More seed catalogs have arrived to seduce me. I am trying very hard to resist; I have way enough seeds!!!
- Trying to learn more about my houseplants
- Snow still hanging on on the north side of the house, metal building and back yard fence
- Basils and garlic are well represented in this year's catalogs - awesome!
- Daughter brought our brought our 1994 garden journal home - awesome and way cool.
- Taped some bulb package labels into my journal [2012 Note: I don't know where I taped them as they are NOT in the journal that I am currently transcribing]
- Scanned the journal [from 1994] that my daughter found
- Rotated ficus this afternoon and opened the drapes for it
- The herb growing containers I bough don't have drain holes and are not very big. I hope the plants will be ok. Have to be very careful with the watering.