December 23

2005

2006

2010


2005

Took a walk around the perimeter today for the first time in months. Mauly and Jake have dug numerous large holes under various bushes as they peruse their prey. How am I going to have a "wild" area if they keep destroying it?

The back yard fence that MDH is building is turning out really well. The West side is nearly done. Going to start the North side soon. I can't believe we're really doing this. Over a decade of dreams finally starting to blossom.

Sweet potato has real leaves, but it's still too cold for it to really take off yet. Still, its good to see something growing in the house.

Something is chewing on the ficus leaves. Not serious, yet, but I can't seem to find what it is.

2006

Son has moved the rest of the unplanted bulbs into the metal building for me yesterday. Now I just need to choose a nice, sub-freezing time to plant them out.

Hundreds of daffs to go.

Go my library card out of hock and gathered a bunch of herb books to bring home for the holidays with me.
  • Filled bird feeders and set out water
  • Watered front trees; bottom pine branches have been eaten
  • Inspected fruit trees
  • Earlier in the week planted a pot of misc garlic bulbs for "chives"
Winter is a time for hiding under the covers with a good garden book and spring-time dreams. Herbs for tea
  • Lemon Flavors
    • Lemon Verbena
    • Lemon Balm [2011 Note: Lemon Balm smells too medicine-like, even though it has a lemon smell to it]
    • Lemon Thyme
    • Lemon Grass
  • Mints
    • Spearmint
    • Applemint
    • Blue Balsam Tea Mint
  • Anise
    • Anise Seed
    • Fennel
    • Anise Hyssop
  • Fruit
    • Pineapple Sage
    • Fruit scented Geraniums

Potpourris Herbs
F = Flowers, L = Leaves
  • Anise Hyssop F, L
  • Anise Seeds
  • Basil F, L
  • Bay L
  • Borage F
  • Elderberry L
  • Hussop F
  • Juniper Berries
  • Lavender F
  • Lemon Verbena L
  • Marjoram L
  • Mint L, F
  • Rose F, Hips
  • Rosemary L
  • Scented Geraniums F, L
  • Thyme L
So lovely to behold the winter landscape under a bright sunny day. ** Try a lemon basil hair rinse or a sage tea [hair] rinse. Herb Vinegar
  1. 8 inches of stem for 2 c vinegar
  2. Use red or white wine vinegar
  3. heat vinegar until just below boiling in glass, enamel or stainless [container]
  4. Fill hot, sterol jars
  5. cover & cool
  6. ready to use in 2 weeks
  7. [2011 subsequently heard that it should be kept in the refrigerator]
Placed a $30 order with Thyme Gardens. I know I could get the seeds elsewhere for a bit cheaper, but I like to support the small growers when I can.

2010

  • Dug in another 9 gallons of compost into new existing beds
  • Started a new bed - no compost yet, but started digging it up
  • My granddaughter worked in the garden with me for an hour.  She called me a farmer.  She said that I had chickens,  corn and a big blue tractor, so I must be a farmer.  [My recollection here in 2011 is that she did concede that I didn't have a very big farm because I did not have cows.]
  • New weeds have sprouted in the empty beds; I hoed them up.  Need to hand pull [them] in the garlic and raised beds.
  • Now leaves on any of the fruit trees now.
  • 4 ivys look good; no signs of transplant shock
  • Sweet potato doing well. Lovely deep purple leaves - tiny and nearly black.  Need to put in a good pot.  Last one I grew had green leaves.
  • Need to start taking better care of my poor ficus.  Needs food and regular watering.
  • What will happen if I winter sow spinach now? Will it germinate?  How much seed do I have to play with? Surely I could try 20 seeds or so?

No comments:

Post a Comment